For millions of people with disabilities, a stable and sufficient job may seem out of reach. Nearly 70 percent of adults who have some type of disability would like to work. That’s a staggering 18 million people who could be joining the workforce. Here you will find resources that could be of assistance to those with disabilities seeking employment.
Finding a Job
- What Can You Do?: The Campaign for Disability Employment provide information for youths and adults with disabilities.
- AAPD: Find employment or an internship through the American Association of People with Disabilities.
- Career Connect: The AFB Career Connection provides resources for job seekers, employers, and professionals for adults who are blind or visually impaired.
- Disability Community: Here you will find information to help those with disabilities find employment information and opportunities.
- Entry Point: This program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) provides employment opportunities to students with disabilities.
- Getting Hired: Talented job seekers with disabilities can sign up to meet potential employers for success in the workplace.
Help Starting a Small Business
- Start Up USA: Resources, training, technical assistance and information for a business start-up for people with disabilities.
- State Rehabilitation Agencies: Learn about the various programs for people with disabilities who seek self-employment.
- The Work Site: Social Security Online provides disability insurance with employment networks and support services.
- The Abilities Fund: Find financial assistance and training for those with disabilities.
- Business Leadership Network: The USBLN is a leading disability organization that assists workplaces in finding talented employees with disabilities.
- Chamber of Commerce: The Chamber of Commerce for Persons with Disabilities helps to improve the status of people with disabilities.
- Disabled Businesspersons Association: Charitable organization for disabled business persons to maximize their potential in the business world.
Disability Employment Opportunities
- Hire Disability Solutions: Sign up as a member to the Career Center to connect with potential employers.
- IBM Employment: IBM is hiring a number of opportunities in a variety of fields for entry level and internships for disabled, veterans, and other candidates.
- Ability Jobs: Find job opportunities to enable people with disabilities to enhance their professional lives.
- Lift Inc: Nation’s leading source of management and computer technology employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
- NAD: Find employment opportunities from the National Association of the Deaf for hearing impaired individuals in the United States.
- Pride Industries: Find service solutions and employment training and opportunities for people with disabilities.
- ROI: Human Services Agency dedicated to finding rehabilitation opportunities to physically disabled adults.
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: Learn about employment rights through the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- U.S. Department of Justice: Here you will find a guide to disability rights laws by the Civil Rights Division.
- Research Help: Find information and disability laws from National Disability Employment Awareness.
- Department of Labor: Learn about the employment laws and rules that prevent discrimination against people with disabilities.
- Disability Benefits 101: Know your rights as a disabled person looking for a new career.
- Federal Employment of People with Disabilities: Learn the laws and executive orders for people with disabilities.
- Legal Information Institute: Overview of the disability laws regulated by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Employment and Labor: Here you will find an employment guide for job seekers with disabilities to search for career opportunities.
Federal Government Grants
- Federal Grants: Search for government grants to see if you would be eligible for one of many grant opportunities for disabled persons.
- Children and Families: Find grants opportunities for families of a person who is disabled.
- CFDA: Find federal programs grants from the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance.
- Disabled Facilities Grants: Council grants for disabled people that can be used for a variety of adaptations.
- HUD: Find information for people with disabilities from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- United States Department of Agriculture: The NIFA provides Agr-Ability Grants to disabled farmers.
- HHS: Find grants for a variety of assistance programs from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
General Resource Links
- Canine Companions for Independence: Find an assistance dog to help disabled persons.
- Disability Etiquette Handbook: Learn about employment, public accommodations and laws regarding employment opportunities for the disabled.
- Exceptional Nurse: Information and resource network for students with a disability interested in a nursing career.
- The Council for Disability Rights: Learn about the civil rights for people with disabilities.
- Vision Aware: Self-help resource and rehabilitation education for those who are blind or visually impaired.
- CODI: Community resource for professionals that provide disability information in a wide range of areas.
- OPRN: Find recruiting information for the federal employment of people with disabilities.
- USA Government: Self-employment information for people with disabilities with guides to laws, regulations, scams, and retirement plans.