The terms to define disability have changed these days as well. “Intellectual disability” has replaced the word “mental retardation”. The advent of modern laws to empower the disabled has been successful to a great extent. Laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act of 1984, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and the Rehabilitation Act have ensured that a disability doesn’t cause hindrance in a disabled person’s life or lessen his/her prospects in areas such as employment, housing, and community. In this sense, disabilities such as birth defects or physical handicap due to diseases such as multiple sclerosis or vision impairment shouldn’t prevent the person from living a quality life. The implementation of wide reaching US legislation has made it possible for people with disabilities to pursue their ambitions and live a quality life with the support from family, private institutions, nonprofit organizations, and the government.
The following serves as comprehensive Employment Disability Guide:
- Disability Rights: Serves as a guide to the disability rights laws.
- Disability History: A brief history of disability legislation in the US.
- Disability Discrimination: An overview of the Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 with links to more information.
- Students with Disabilities: The U.S. federal legislation dealing with disabled students.
- Employment Policy: Information on employment policy for people with disability.
- Disability Jobs: A list of links to websites which offers jobs to students with disabilities.
- ODEP: The official website of the U.S. Department of Disability Employment.
Accessibility and Accommodations
- Accessibility for Disabled: The U.N. design manual to help create a barrier free environment.
- Disability Accommodations: Frequently asked questions on the topic.
- Disability Management Resources: A list of links to disability management.
- Managing Disability: Provides information on long-term disability administration and medical management.
- WCMB: The official website of Montana’s Workers Compensation Disability Management Program.
- Independent Living Institute: Offers beneficial services for empowering people with disabilities.
- Disability Rights: Learn more about disability rights and independent living.
- Independent Living: Provides links and information for an independent life.
From Student to Adult