Shock & Denial
When losing a loved one, you may be overwhelmed with dealing with grief. This may result in a feeling of doubt and refusal to acknowledge what has happened. Shock can put you into a dazed state of disbelief that helps one cope with the pain of death. It may take several week s for the shock to wear off and reality to submerge.
- The Phrases of Grief: While there is no right way to grief, it’s helpful to learn about the human grieving process when dealing with suicide.
- The Stages of Grief: Learn about the five stages of grief, starting with that of shock, denial, and isolation.
- Grieving: Find information on facing illness, death, and other losses through grieving.
- Denial: Learn to cope with this unconscious coping mechanism that helps you to avoid distressing problems, such as death.
- Feelings and Symptoms: Experience the various symptoms and emotions involved in the grieving process.
Pain & Guilt
As the realization at what has happened becomes clear, you may begin to feel angry, abandoned, and absorb a strong sense of pain. Although the pain may become insufferable, it’s important to work through the pain and not bury it behind drugs or alcohol, or keep it all inside. Guilt and remorse may also be among the strong emotional difficulties you are experiencing. Suppressing this guilt will only do more harm then good.
- Coping with Grief and Loss: Find information and the symptoms of grieving, as well as myths and facts.
- Death and Grief: Information for kids and teens on how to deal with the death of a loved one.
- Guilt Following Traumatic Events: Learn about this common response to a traumatic experience.
- Anger and Guilt: Tips on how to deal with anger and guilt after a death due to suicide.
- A Guide to Grief: Find information on the various aspects of grieving, including bereavement, mourning, anger, and guilt.
Anger & Bargaining
During this chaotic time, you will have mixed emotions over what has happened. Anger is a common way to relieve these feelings that you have bottled up inside. You may direct this anger at God, the doctors and nurses, or even yourself. To feel more in control of this situation, you may bargain for the life you have lost.
- After Death: Read through the steps associated with dealing with death and coping with pain.
- 5 Steps of Grief: Learn about the 5 steps of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.
- Kubler-Ross’s Stages: Find information on the bargaining stage and how to move past it.
- Coping with Death: Go through the stages of coping with the death of a loved one.
- The Impact of a Loss: Learn about the grieving process and find information on the fear of death.
“Depression,” Reflection, Loneliness
Once you have worked past denial and anger, your life may be getting back on track but a span of depression may set in. You may play memories again and again in your head to simply reflect on your loss. Encouragement should always be welcomed during this time, but it’s important to work through this normal stage of grief in your own time. As you finally realize the magnitude of your loss, depression and loneliness may seep in, leaving you with feelings of despair and emptiness.
- The First Year after Death: Study about how one copes with depression the first year after the death of a spouse.
- Loss of a Child: Learn about depression and how to cope after the loss of a child.
- Help Yourself and Others: Tips on how to help a child, adult friend, or family member deal with a death.
- Reflections After a Death: List of thoughts and considerations that help you to work through the grieving process.
- Death and Loneliness: Here you will find a story and information dealing with loneliness after death.
The Upward Turn
At one time you may have thought that your life was never going to get better. However, over time, you will adjust to living without your loved one in your life. You will find a calm balance between remembering the good times with your loved one, but appreciating the living and what you still have in your life. The physical and emotional symptoms of your depression will begin to fade, raising your spirits.
- Dealing with Death: Help your child handle a death in the family with these tips and experiences.
- Coping with Death and Grief: Understand the grieving process and help loved ones grieve.
- Grief and Death: Article about behavioral characteristics that we face when dealing with death.
- Death and Loss: Here you will find parental tips to help children deal with the grief caused by a loss.
- Dealing with Death in the NICU: Learn about the loss of an infant and the steps to take once the grieving has surpassed.
Reconstruction & Working Through
As time passes by, you will work out realistic solutions to problems that you would had previously sought help with from your loved one. You will begin to manage both financial and practical issues by yourself with a steady and goal-oriented mindset. By dealing with the loss, you have only become stronger and are ready to rebuild your life without your loved one in it.
- Life After Death: The Spiritual Science Research Foundation talks about life after death.
- Renewing Your Life: Find information on how to renew your life after the death of a loved one.
- Moving Forward: After a devastating loss, find support groups and information on how to get past the struggle.
- Coping Video: Here you will find a video on getting over the death of a loved one.
- Life After a Lost: Learn about the different types of losses and how to deal with each one in your own way.
Acceptance & Hope
With this final stage, you are ready to live your life and accept the loss that you have endured. While acceptance does not mean that you are happy, or that you have forgotten about your loved one, but rather that you fight your way forward to live a fulfilling life on your own. You will start to look forward to the future and plan for holidays and events. With this new found appreciation for life, you can find the joy in living and use it to the fullest.
- Financial Affairs After Death: Understand the business aspects that one may have to deal with after the death of a loved one.
- Making Peace: Learn about the importance of making peace with a loved one’s imminent death.
- The Loss of a Loved One: Here you will find a touching story and information on accepting the loss of a loved one.
- Dealing with a Death: Enlighten yourself with these key principals to remember when coping with a death.
Visit here to see life insurance tips
Visit here to learn more about types of life insurance.